Friday, April 1, 2011

Rue

It was Friday, last day of the college for the week, a happy day to enjoy with my friends and prepare down the line for the upcoming weekend. I boarded the bus that would take me to the railway station, and as usual headphones pinned right into my ears spilling my favorite music that rejuvenated me even at 2 am in the night when I have to sit for completing my delayed assignments. (FYI I always push the much need things for tomorrow and trust me tomorrow never comes.) The cool breeze blew over the droplets of sweat that dotted my forehead leaving behind a sensation of eternal bliss in this polluted city of Mumbai.
With the bus slowly breaking its way to a steady halt, I rose from the seat of the bus and descended the stairs of the bus and no sooner did I put my first step on the ground that a beggar with his stuff to impress appeared and started pestering me to give him money. Although I have felt that these people should be helped as it’s the bad time of their life that they are living but I also firmly believe that giving money to someone who can do physical work and earn money would be wrong on my part. In this case the beggar was a 30 yr old young chap. So even though he sounded all hungry and stuff I refrained from giving him money.
But to his luck, right beside me stopped a Merc and as the perfectly tinted window lowered did someone put his/her hand out of it to give the beggar a hundred smackaroonies. (My style of expressing money!) Smile springing up the face of the beggar, he left me and walked away. Of course, it’ll be wrong if I say I wouldn’t be happy to receive a hundred rupees from my parents for no reason.
But there was something more that somehow saddened me. I always had wished to be rich. Rich people had always fascinated me, but being devoid of that pleasure I had always cursed my fate for not making my dad a Bill Gates. My nature was to complain always for the stuff I didn’t possess and other did, for I felt that fate always played a biased role at my turn.
With these thoughts swimming in my brain I walked mechanically to the FOB in the railway station that would take me to the platform where I would catch my train. It was usual for everyday that I never cared to see where I walked into. But today was different.
As I climbed half the fleet of stairs did some stick touch my foot, and a voice from behind looking away for me directed the words, ‘Sorry’ towards me. The person was blind and was finding his way out of the crowded staircase to reach his desired platform. I turned behind and caught his hand as he tried to divert himself from me and said,
‘Sir, let me help you take you to the platform.’
I should tell you but I know that it’s hard for you to believe that the smile that I saw in his eyes was worth a billion dollars. Today I heard the most true and beautiful ‘thank you’ that I ever heard as he surrender his navigation to me.
As we climbed up the stairs we exchanged out names and the place where we were going but before I left him I asked my inquisition out.
‘Sir, don’t you feel sad for what fate has given you?’
His answer was short,
‘Well you certainly need to visit once the handicap compartment o find your answer.’
At first I felt that this man didn’t get what I meant, but as he boarded the handicap compartment I looked around to find people in much worse state trying to get inside the compartment. Some with polio while some with amputated legs/hands. Looking at them the blind seemed to be at a better position, but then it hit me, wasn’t it that I was more gifted that any of those people. Wasn’t I in a better state that the blind man.
 The realization hit me like lightning as my body felt shivers that I was the one who was cursing about fate but was now feeling that the blind man was better. Why did I never realize this before that I was in a better state than most of the people around me? I always looked for happiness that had to be thrusted upon me, but I had never sought it.
 Now as my eyes are open I find happiness in every nook and corner of where I am. The words of the man gave my life a new meaning to live for. Till now I lived for living, now I lived for happiness and trust me the latter is much better.
Happy Living!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment